.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

StoneHome

Saturday, August 19, 2006

The end of the roof !!

To put a branch of a tree into the chimeny is a sign the roof is finished and also is done for good luck, it keeps evil from getting in! At least that´s what´s said around here... God, it felt good.



































JuanPedro and Luis are working on the summit line of tiles. The mortar was coloured red to blend in better.















Finishing the last side tiles.















Early morning, last day of work for the roof...















I just love this picture of my brother: check out that amazing cloud too!















Of course, Raya wanted to be part of it too. She always has to be included.







































Bringing the tiles up there was a lot of work, especially with the heat we had to endure these days. A hat was mandatory since roofing can be dangerous under these conditions.















The chimmeny was completely done during the laying of the tiles, for better fitting within their pattern. Lead is what we used for sealing, then rubber cement sealer paint.















I had to cut a whole bunch of tiles for adjusting them to the skylights and summit, once I leaned the circular saw on my leg before it completely stopped rotating and hurt myself pretty badly, I have pictures of it too, but I considered them too graphic for this blog. (I'll email them by demand only)















The roofing master, Luis. He deserves most of the credit here, the whole work was, for me, a learning experience and a lot of fun despite the hardness of it. We had thousands of things to talk about and even disagreeing was fun. He showed me what he knew and I will always appreciate that as a gift. THANK YOU!